The Division of Licensing oversees licensing programs for child care centers, group child care homes, family child care homes, and youth camps. We’re committed to promoting the health, safety, and welfare of Connecticut’s children.
Who we license
We license more than 4,000 child care programs in the State of Connecticut. Different child care programs and youth camps have different regulations and processes for getting licensed. Below are the different types of licensed programs:
Family Child Care Homes
Family Child Care Homes are private homes that meet the following criteria:
- Provide care for up to six children, including the provider’s children, who are not in school full-time
- During the school year, providers may take up to three additional children who are in school full-time
- If the provider has more than three children in school full-time, all of them are permitted
- Care is provided for no less than three and no more than twelve hours within a 24-hour period on a regular basis
- More than twelve hours of care is allowed on an intermittent basis, but may not exceed 72 consecutive hours.
Group Child Care Homes
Group Child Care Homes fall under one of the following definitions:
- Provides regular care for not less than seven or more than twelve related or unrelated children, OR
- Meets the definition of a family child care home but operates in a facility other than a private home.
Child Care Centers
Child Care Centers provide regular care to more than twelve related or unrelated children outside of their homes.
Youth Camps are programs or organized activities that operate during school vacations or on weekends. Camps may accommodate five or more children who are between the ages of three and sixteen.
What we do
We work to ensure that all licensed child care programs and youth camps meet or exceed state regulations. Some of our duties include:
- Enforcing rules and regulations
- Investigating complaints
- Monitoring programs
- Processing applications, and
- Providing technical assistance
We’ve published tutorial videos to help you navigate the licensing process:
How to Open a Licensed Child Care Center or Group Child Care Home
Maintaining Compliance: Child Care Centers and Group Child Care Homes
How to Become a Licensed Family Child Care Provider
How to Become a Licensed Family Child Care Provider (Spanish)
Maintaining Compliance: Family Child Care Homes
Administration of Medications